Follow Us

British military forces have taken out more than 1,400 ISIS terrorists
British military forces have taken out more than 1,400 ISIS terrorists

Nov 1, 2020 | studies

European Observatory to Combat Radicalization

RAF drone attacks DESTROY over 1,400 ISIS terrorists over past six years

Express -BRITISH military forces have taken out more than 1,400 ISIS terrorists over the past six years by drone strike, it has been revealed.

Figures released by the Ministry of Defence show how bombing missions by pilotless aircrafts were effective. The flight logs reveal how RAF MQ-9 Reaper drones, which are controlled by military crews in bunkers located in the UK, have been deployed on 4,107 missions in Syria and Iraq since 2014.

Some of the drone and missile strikes were supported by US forces.The drones used by the British forces can travel at 287mph and fly at over 30,000ft.They can also carry 500lb bombs or Hellfire missiles used to strike a target.Royal Air Force figures have shown that 972 terrorists have been killed or injured in Iraq since 2014.

Thirteen of those targets were struck this year.In Syria, 437 targets were hit in the past six years.However, the total figures are an estimate based on photographic evidence and debris left at the scene.Military operators watch drone and missile strikes through live feeds to track the hit and impact.

In a statement released earlier this year, the Ministry of Defence said: “We always seek to minimise the risk of civilian casualties through our rigorous targeting process, but that risk can never be removed entirely, particularly given the ruthless and inhumane behaviour of the adversary, including the deliberate use of human shields.”The comments came after the US military claimed there is “credible” evidence to suggest that British airstrikes against ISIS have killed civilians in Syria and Iraq.

But the MoD has denied American reports that some RAF airstrikes against the terrorist group have harmed civilians.In September, the MoD said UK fighter jets intercepted two Russian aircrafts near the Scottish coast.The RAF Typhoons hastened towards the Russian aircrafts after they “entered the UK’s controlled zone of international airspace”.

A MoD spokesman said monitoring of the zone is done to ensure the safe passage of other aircrafts.The US also launched an extensive drone bombing campaign against ISIS, killing large numbers of its fighters including Britons.Mohammed Emwazi, also known as ‘Jihadi John’, and the ‘White Widow’ Sally Jones were both killed in the strikes.Mr Emwazi was targeted for beheading hostages and he was killed in Syria in November 2015.

Jihadi John was responsible for taking part in the executions of seven western hostages and at least 22 Syrians for ISIS propaganda videos.During the videos he always appeared in a mask and he beheaded western hostages including two Britons, David Haines and Alan Henning.Ms Jones, who was a British born extremist, fled Kent in order to recruit for ISIS in Syria.She reportedly died in a strike in June 2017 and her 12-year-old son JoJo is also believed to have been killed.

 

Follow us

Related Posts

Preventing radicalisation in Eu

Preventing radicalisation in Eu

European Observatory to Combat Radicalization Prevention of radicalisation Ec.europaـ  Radicalisation is a phased and complex process in which an individual or a group embraces a radical ideology or belief that accepts, uses or condones violence, including acts of...

EU ـ Measures to improve support to victims of terrorism

EU ـ Measures to improve support to victims of terrorism

European Observatory to Combat Radicalization Victims of terrorism                 Ec.europa - Victims of terrorism deserve special attention and support at both national and EU level. This is done through specific laws, networks and cooperation with partner countries...

Thalys train attack:  Gunman French   receives life sentence

Thalys train attack: Gunman French receives life sentence

European Observatory to Combat Radicalization Terrorist behind foiled 2015 French train attack receives life sentence Theguardian ـ Ayoub El-Khazzani was restrained by three US travellers after opening fire onboard French trainA terrorist whose plan to carry out a...

Share This